In our family...

In our family....we do second chances...we do grace...we do real...we do mistakes...we do I'm sorry (and I forgive you)...we do loud really well...we do hugs...we do family...we do love.















Friday, September 3, 2010

Wedding Smores

“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou

Tomorrow someone very dear to me is getting married. I had the pleasure of caring for her and her siblings in my daycare. Being their 2nd mom over the years has been a blessing and has bonded our 2 families. I have been blessed to watch each one of them grow up to be fine young adults. In fact the youngest graduated with my youngest son and she has been his best friend since they were in diapers.

The above quote has been one of my inspirations & motto’s.  When I read it this morning, I was instantly reminded of this young woman and her siblings. Over the years, any time I see any one of them, they  smile big and embrace me. They introduce me as their 2nd mom. What an honor!

About a month ago we had a bridal shower for this young lady getting married and I made these smore cupcakes for it. They really taste like smores.

She loved them and because they had decided to not have a traditional wedding cake, asked me to help her make these for her wedding. These were a perfect choice considering that the 2 of them do a lot of camping, fishing and out door stuff…not to mention that they love smores.

Of course, I said I would love to help.

What is really neat about this couple is that they are so in love and are making this wedding about them instead of following traditional wedding stuff that doesn’t mean anything to them.

Earlier this week, I realized that the bride had a zillion things to do this last week before her wedding. Of course she does. So of course I had to offer to make them all by myself….for 250 wedding guests. Am I craaaaazzzzy?

Don’t answer that.

You know I’m not a professional baker or cake decorator right?

Right about now, you might be calling me a professional crazy person.

Well, that might be my daughter calling me that.

Of course, I volunteered that crazy calling daughter to help me.

That daughter  will leave later today to go spend the night with the bride since she is her personal attendant. So of course I volunteered my husband to help put on the frosting….and to contemplate how we will transport all of them to the brides parents home where the reception will be.

Thankfully I have a van. :)

Today I will be spending the entire day in the kitchen baking cup cakes of different sizes, frosting them and putting the finishing touches on the cup cake display stand.

Thankfully it is cool outside(55) with an expected high of low 60’s, so that it will feel good to run my oven all day.

I have a 3, 4 and 5 year old that think they are helping. Of course I have other plans for them…like not destroying the rest of the house while I am busy making a messy kitchen.

Did I mention I still don’t know what I’m wearing to the wedding? :)

You should see the abundance of flour, baking cocoa, sugar, butter, eggs, oil,  marshmallow cream, chocolate kisses…ect… that have taken up residence in my kitchen.

They are calling my name but first I have some little’s to feed & shoo out of the kitchen.

I have until tomorrow afternoon to accomplish this crazy task.

Please pray.

This might be an interesting day/night.

I am thinking perfectly positive of a beautifully displayed end result.

I may joke but in all honesty it is an honor to do this for such  special people.

Of course, I will breathe a sigh of relief tomorrow when I sit with a glass of wine at this wonderful event of 2 people so in love that they are so excited to say “I do.” and just want to get to the part of being married.

Until then, I will be buried in all things chocolate and marshmallow.

I hope whatever you do this weekend, you find joy in it. Laugh. Smile. Hug.  Say, “I love you.” Remember, it’s how we make others feel that they will remember.

All righty then…time is a wasting…what am I still doing on the computer?…ready, set, go!

Until the cupcakes are baked & frosted…love & hugs, Lori

15 comments:

Joyce Gray said...

Make sure and take lots of pictures when you are done. It is so sweet of you to do this when you have three munchkins running around. Enjoy that glass of wine when you get to it!

Colleen said...

You doing that is seriously such a wonderful gift! You are going to make their day just that much more special and fun with your delicious goodies!:) Good luck and enjoy yourself!

Brittany said...

You can do it ma! :)))) You're fabulous!

Brian Miller said...

woot. have fun baking today...you can do it...and you can even make extra to send my way...ha. hope you have a wonderful time at the wedding...

Hilary said...

Wow.. what a thoughtful gift. You're such a kind-hearted person, Lori. I'm sure they're so blessed to have you in their lives. Happy baking.. remember to take some photos!

Busy Bee Suz said...

You are such a sweet friend to do this...but I don't blame you, I may have done the same thing.
I love weddings...I love seeing people in love.
Have fun baking and enjoy tomorrow!!!

Buckeroomama said...

Lori, you are one of the sweetest, most kind-hearted persons I know.

You go girl, you can do it! And tomorrow, you can sit back and smile and smile and smile and feel the love. :)

Sueann said...

Those cupcakes sound so wonderful!! You are so sweet to volunteer!! I know it seems overwhelming because...IT IS!!! Are you crazy?? I say yes...but a wonderful and beautiful crazy are you!
Then you should take pictures along the way and then take pictures of the finished product!!
Then you can have that glass of wine!
Hugs
SueAnn

Anonymous said...

What a wonderfully crazy thing you are doing. It will be remembered with love for years to come.

When I got married, my best friend made a sponge cake decorated as a beach with lots of sweets on it. And he let me have the reception at his house in his garden!

Garnetrose said...

I love maya and that is one of my favorite quotes. I think what you are doing is a labor of love for the young couple and things will turn out fine. You must show us some pics of them. It sounds wonderful.

mommytoalot said...

YUM
What a kind and sweet thing you are doing. Betcha those cupcakes turned out mighty delicious.

Liz Mays said...

I have no doubt that the baking went off without a hitch and it all went beautifully. What a wonderful 2nd mom you must be to earn that title! :)

Anonymous said...

I want the recipe! I LOVE smores and we love camping. As a matter of fact we camped this weekend and also had smores.

Ash said...

lori - you're a great woman! can you be my second mom too? ;)

hope you enjoyed the wedding. :)

~ash's mum

Anonymous said...

How very sweet of you...now you are a sweet, crazy, professional, cupcake maker.
Would you either mail me or cupcake or at least post the recipe. My mouth is watering...In other words, I'm drooling like my dogs.
Love. Love. Love the quote.
~SwAmPy~