In our family...

In our family....we do second chances...we do grace...we do real...we do mistakes...we do I'm sorry (and I forgive you)...we do loud really well...we do hugs...we do family...we do love.















Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Dozen

A dozen things that are making me smile…in no particular order…

1. You. In all seriousness, your love, kindness and support that you write to me, brings a smile to my face. Most of the time, what you write or the pictures you post, make me smile or laugh. On the occasions that you make me think or cry, please know that even then I am blessed to have shared in your words. Thank you!

2. Fall. The cooler weather & lack of humidity. I am so happy that fall is around the corner. I love the changing colors, the campfires and freshness outside.

3. Football. As in Gophers & Vikings. Just writing this makes me giddy with excitement.

4. Having a husband that doesn’t consider cleaning or the laundry a woman’s only job. He does these things without thinking he deserves a pat on the back.

5. When my little lady said to me tonight…” I was thinking that daddy could sleep in my bed and I could sleep with you in your bed and we could all be very very haaaappy about this!” Nice try little girl.

6. Being happily greeted by a 3, 4 and 5 year olds every single time I come home.

7. Tomatoes from our garden. I have been roasting them with garlic & onions and other veggies. The flavor is beyond this world. It will be so nice to pull jars of this out to eat this winter.

8. Peace & quiet in my home. Even if I have to stay up to have it.  I am writing this when I should be sleeping. I would curse that cup of coffee I had too late in the day but I’m watching & listening to the most amazing thunderstorm as I write and read blogs.

9. My granddaughter. She started middle school a couple of weeks ago and she is loving it. She went from a really small charter school to a big middle school. Hearing her talk with excitement about her classes and new friends makes me so happy.(and relieved)

10. Yogurt. I started out making yogurt in a yogurt maker that I got from my sister. Now I am making it in other ways too because I couldn’t keep up with the demand. It is so fun & easy and yummy. Seriously, you don’t need a yogurt maker.

11. Organic raw milk and eggs…and at a very affordable price. It also makes the best yogurt! We get it from the nicest farmers and every time I leave their farm I smile out of feeling so blessed.

12. A beautiful elderly woman. Just being in her presence  reminds me of what is most important in this life. At the top of that list is people.

Last but not least…and yes I know this makes 13…going to sleep while it is raining & thundering, while in the comfort of my home, knowing that my family is safely sleeping…knowing all is well within these walls.

What would be on your list of things that make you smile?

I hope that no matter how your day is, or what is going on in your life, that you find something to smile about today.

Until next time, hugs & love, Lori

18 comments:

Sueann said...

Loving your list! I have a yogurt maker but my foray into it was not successful. So I never kept at it. Guess I should pull it out again and give it a try. I love soy yogurt. Hard to find. Even harder to make!
I am loving the cooler weather too but I will miss the summer!! I have enjoyed it so!
Hugs to you
SueAnn

Natalie said...

I loved your list too, Lori.
In my opinion, there is nothing nicer than snuggling up in bed while a storm is happening outside. :)

Brian Miller said...

oh that is a wonderful list...long walks n the woods, snuggles and wrestling matches, and mudpies and smiles.

thanks for hte wonderful comment and sharing the story of that girl...that was awesome!

Jeannie said...

My dog always makes me smile - except when he's chewed up something he really shouldn't have.

SciFi Dad said...

I just want to say I'm looking forward to September 26, when Brett Favre meets Ndamukong Suh. :)

Joyce Gray said...

Gonna try that yogurt making, you have me very motivated.

Anonymous said...

I've been canning tomatoes, too - my first batch was just plain sauce. The next batch will be part plain sauce (because you can always dress it up later) and part peach salsa, if I can get to the peaches before they go bad. I love our pastured eggs, and wish I could get raw milk, but since I can't I will be happy with the milk we get from a local, grass-fed dairy farm that is not homogenized and just pasteurized enough to meet the legal requirements.

I haven't started making my own yogurt yet, but I'm going to now.

Jan

Mamajil said...

Love your list! It made me smile!thanks for stopping by my blog!
Hope today is full of surprises and blessings for you and your family!

Jacquelyn Stager said...

loved your list...sounds like all is going well on the home front. Little Lady's attempted manuever was so cute! Sometimes the only way to hear yourself think is to stay up late at night. I try not to, but it happens!

I Am Woody said...

I smile at the fact that I got a phone call from a very precious 3 year old. She talked and talked, telling me about her new pink shirt and Pita going to big school and playing on her swingset and on and on. Then she said "I love you Aunt Woody and I miss you". :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is a beautiful list and made me smile. Again. :)
I wish I had a local farm to get milk from...we have friends who share eggs with us already.
I am blessed beyond words, and I appreciate every little think in my life. xoxox
Suz

Unknown said...

You are at the top of my list : ) I love how you edify and encourage everyone. Everywhere you visit. You are a joy! : )
Other things that make me smile?
My baby.
My husband.
My family!
love.
walks.
tilapia for dinner.
pictures.
books.
so many things. life is full of joy!

Brittany said...

slightly bummed.. not gonna lie

Where am I on this list?

Hilary said...

What a fine list of things to be grateful for.

I'd add pets and wild critters, summer sunshine and a glass of fine wine.. among many, many more. Various people too of course, but you already sort of covered that. ;)

Liz Mays said...

I am so excited about fall and the seasonal holidays and cool temperatures and fun earthy colors!

I love the bedtime commentary. Good try is right!

Michelle said...

That's a great list. It made me smile too.

:-)

Fall's my favourite time of year. I love the colours... and the berries. Every year I pig out on home-made blackberry and apple crumbles from fruit we pick wild. :-D

Buckeroomama said...

I'm so with you on being nice and cozy in bed with storm outside, knowing that you are safe and warm in your home. :)

Have a super weekend!

mommytoalot said...

Wonderful list.
I would say family and friends would make my list. My favourite t.v shows...soaking in my neighbour's hot tub
L