In our family...

In our family....we do second chances...we do grace...we do real...we do mistakes...we do I'm sorry (and I forgive you)...we do loud really well...we do hugs...we do family...we do love.















Monday, September 20, 2010

Cupcakes Galore

Remember how I made cupcakes for a wedding recently?

I was so consumed with getting it all set up at the reception and getting back home to get ready for the actual wedding that I totally forgot to take any photo’s. I finally got some photo’s of the finished product so I can now share them with you.

It may have taken us all day, but we did it. My dear daughter stayed true to her word and helped me all day.

Secretly, I think she just wanted a chance to break in her brand new apron…and that she did. Should have gotten a picture of that hot mess. :)

We made quite a hot mess indeed. I almost let my daughter take a picture of our big fat mess. Almost.

My daughter has a picture taking addiction so if it had been up to her, she would have taken pictures every 5 minutes. My threats to break her camera right at the start made her come to her senses and put it away. :)

The little’s made a big fat mess of the living room. All things considering, no one got hurt and they had a lot of fun.

A couple of them snuck into the mess…

IMG_4141 

…of course they had to have a couple of licks. And of course before we chased them back out of the kitchen a picture had to be taken.

My daughter didn’t leave for the prewedding festivities until we frosted the last cupcake…cupcakes that looked like this…IMG_4145

…and boxed them all up and of course took pictures of our handiwork.

If you’ve ever wondered what 300+ cupcakes look like…

IMG_4151

..and no this isn’t  all of them.

…and a cake that will eventually get a really cute topper…

IMG_4148

We really did have fun doing all of this. I think the hardest part was making the display stand to put all of this on. I used tackle boxes & cake boards and threw in some bobbers.

My husband came home from work just as we were finishing. He was quite relieved that all he had to help with was the clean up of a very messy kitchen.

On Saturday morning, I went to the brides parents home and we set it all up. The bride & groom were thrilled with our handiwork…that’s what mattered the most…

60272_10150276129745607_552775606_14817405_2263643_n

 

The topper was so fitting for the bride & groom.

 

60272_10150276129740607_552775606_14817404_3629513_n

Can you tell they like to fish?

It really did look good when it was all put together…bobbers, tackle boxes and all.

 

60272_10150276129750607_552775606_14817406_6366541_n 

The wedding was short, sweet and simple. Perfect. The bride was exceptionally beautiful. The groom was totally smitten with his bride.

On the way to the wedding the 3 little’s asked if God was going to be at the wedding. Of course I said yes.

I think this helped them behave during the ceremony. :)

… and he was there…in the beautiful sunshine & perfect weather that was neither hot nor cold…in the love that was so evident between the bride & the groom…in the joy of little & big people dancing on the dance floor.

Being a part of a wedding like this was such an honor…and such a joy.

Little man made friends with the entire band. Of course he did. He danced to every single song until he went home well past dark.  

The other 2 little’s did a pretty good job of dancing themselves, as they danced until they fell asleep in our arms.

Of course us big people had a good time ourselves as dancing is my most favorite part of a wedding.

When I was dancing with the bride, I kept picturing her as this little girl I once knew her to be. She is still the same sweet fantastic person, just older.

Last but not least, the recipe for the cupcakes for those of you that have asked for it.

One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes
Source: Martha Stewart
Makes 24 Cupcakes (To make a decent size cupcake, it makes about 18)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
3 tablespoons canola oil or applesauce
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with foil liners or squares of foil for the rustic look; set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and beat until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed. Spoon batter out evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

Marshmallow Frosting

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Regular size  tub of marshmallow cream

For Assembly:
Crushed Graham Crackers
24 individual Hershey chocolates or kisses

Directions:
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on high until light and fluffy. Add the confectioner's sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, and beat until fluffy each time
Beat in the vanilla until incorporated. Add the marshmallow fluff and beat until creamy.

To Assemble the Cupcakes:
Pipe the frosting on the cooled cupcakes. I used a cheap cake decorating kit but you could use a plastic bag & cut out the end. Top the piped frosting with crushed graham crackers (you can put them in the food processor until they are fine crumbs) and an individual piece of kisses or Hershey chocolate pieces.
 

These really are delicious.  The brides mom told me that every single cupcake got eaten. How wonderful.

My next cupcake making adventure will be in October for my brothers surprise birthday party.

Until next time, love & hugs, Lori

 

17 comments:

Jeannie said...

Looks delicious! You have an amazing amount of energy!

SciFi Dad said...

That's a pretty impressive cupcake display.

Unknown said...

OMG, I cannot imagine how much time and energy you put into making everything that went into that display! Amazing!

Shrinky said...

Oh my goodness, what an enormous amount of work and love went into this - and the end result is FABULOUS! I've never seen such an original, brilliant idea for a wedding cake - I have yet to meet anyone who actually enjoys eating wedding cake - but cupcakes as delicious as these? I am not at all surprised they all went!

Busy Bee Suz said...

You both did such a wonderful job...love the entire display!!!
Glad the wedding was a success and the kids had fun.
I love love love weddings too!

Buckeroomama said...

That is most impressive, Lori --what a beautiful spread! :)

mommytoalot said...

Oh my gosh! What a fabulous job you did. My goodness it must have taken forever. You are truly a persistent and patient lady.
Love the pic of your sweet littles with chocolate faces..priceless.
..
glad the wedding was good as well
xo

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL job, Lori! It all looks so beautiful, and delicious too!!

Jan

Brittany said...

Dont put my business out there like that ;)

I didn't do it JUST to break in my super cute apron..

I also did it so I could taste test each batch! mmmmm yummy cupcakes :)

Joyce Gray said...

WOW, that cake totally rocks. I was looking forward to your pictures to see how you would arrange that many cupcakes. It was totally cool.

CiCi said...

I am glad you have pictures of the cake and cupcakes. I couldn't picture all of it. I was picturing tiers of cupcakes. The display turned out so nice. I am glad all your work was truly appreciated and that you got to enjoy the wedding too.

I Am Woody said...

Wow! I cannot imagine how much work that took! I love how so many people are opting for cupcakes instead of a traditional wedding cake. I suck a cutting cake and somehow ALWAYS get roped into being the cake server. I would be much better at serving cupcakes:)

Brian Miller said...

haha. love it...the topper is very cool...and that is a huge amount of cupcakes...omg...nicely done.

LPC said...

That is a wonderful and creative wedding cake/cupcake installation. Yes, installation, that's the only word that does it justice.

Hilary said...

You and your daughter did such a fantastic job. It's such a cute, unique theme and the display turned out perfectly. I love the tackle boxes and floats.. and of course what wedding would be complete without the kisses. Nicely done, Lori!

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness me - what a lot of time and effort you spent to make those magical cupcakes! Delicious.

Jess said...

How very precious!
Did you come up with the concept?
I've never seen a cupcake wedding cake before.
Blessings sent your way!