In our family...

In our family....we do second chances...we do grace...we do real...we do mistakes...we do I'm sorry (and I forgive you)...we do loud really well...we do hugs...we do family...we do love.















Sunday, December 13, 2009

This is the best!

When little one’s get sick, life comes to a stand still. Rearranging work schedules, cancelling plans and staying home. Just when I think one of them is better, they are not. More plans cancelled. Yes, it’s disappointing but in the big picture of life, being here with them will always win out. Instead of going with my husband to the holiday party, I sat holding the 2 of them while watching Rudolf, one more time. As the 2 of them snuggled up against me, little man voiced the words that were already in my mind, “This is the best.”

As I was cleaning up puke late last night, I looked at little man with his big brown eyes and this feeling of how blessed I am to be here in this moment with him. Slowing down and coming to a stop helps my perspective to be where it is suppose to be.

I woke up this morning to little lady’s face right in mine, saying “Morning my little mommy. Morning to my best mommy.” As we snuggled and whispered to each other in the morning darkness, I inhaled her sweetness.

Oh how I love my love filled life. We may not have material or financial wealth but we are so rich in this commodity called love. I look at the tree with it’s lopsided branches with 3, 4 or even 5 ornaments hanging in a cluster from the little’s decorating. It is beautiful because it is their master piece. They plug in the lights and just sit in front of it….or they lay under it…and have such adoration over something so simple.

A few years ago I bought this little Christmas porcelain tea set at Good Will and I had kept saying that when they get older we can bring it out. Last weekend, little lady discovered this tea set in a box. I seen her eyes light up and I just knew the time is now. If I wait until they are old enough to ensure none of it gets broken, they will no longer be interested. The time is now. They have spent hours playing with it. They have served me food and tea and coffee. Yes, a plate has already been broken. And I didn’t care because I know that the time is now for such simple pleasures.

I love our beautiful safe haven from the world. I love that inside these walls we are not stressed about Christmas or worried about gifts. We celebrate in our own special simple ways. Life is good.

One good thing about not having a lot of money for things like Christmas is that you don’t have the stress of shopping. Don’t get me wrong, I love buying gifts for others…especially my children who don’t ask for anything except recipes, hummus and granola. In a perfect world, I would buy them the world. In our not so perfect world, I give them my love and all that comes with it. And they give me theirs. They give me so much more than what I ever dreamed of getting from my children. What more could I ask for?

The thing is, none of us go hungry, we all have plenty of clothing, we have roofs over our heads, we have running vehicles, we have our health, we have plenty of toys, we have shelter and warmth from the cold. We have jobs. Some of us are in college.We have so much. On top of all that we have so much love. Miles may separate us from being together but no matter how much time passes or distance separates, we are bonded as one family.

Yet, there are those that have  none of these things. There are those that are walking the streets here in the cold temperatures of Minnesota, with no place to go. There are those that haven’t had a decent meal in days. There are those that have to humble themselves to begging on the streets. There are those that haven’t a clue to what it means to be loved or to be part of family like mine. Their stomachs are empty but so are their hearts. To be barren of food, shelter and love. In the light of this, how could I be sad about not buying a Christmas present?

This is why, we as a family, spend time, each day praying for those less fortunate then us. This is why we as a family count our many blessings instead of feeling sorry for ourselves. This is why we as a family reach out to those less fortunate then ourselves. This is why we can’t ever stop seeing our own abundance. This is why we can’t stop seeing those that are barren. Dear Lord, please don’t ever let us stop seeing.

Yesterday afternoon, I had the blessing of reading this post by Meredith of The Things We Carried, called I See You. Wow! You must go read this. Right now. Go. You will be glad you did.

Then this morning, I had the blessing of reading this post by Roxy of Woman of Essence, called Love Endures. Again, Wow! You must go read this too. Go. You will be glad you took the time.

As I close this post, I reach my hand through this computer screen to those that  need a hand… “I hear you.” “You are heard.” “You are important.” “You matter.” “You are loved.” “I’m so glad you here!”

To those of you that are “full” like I am, of such love and abundance, please reach out to those around you and share your abundance. Open your eyes and see. I know many of you already are. Bravo!

Sunday blessings to each one of you. Hug your loved ones today. Tell them you love them. Peace and joy to you today!

Much love & many hugs, Lori

 

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lori. This post brings tears to my eyes and chokes me up. You are so correct in all that you say here. You and I are blessed just in the fact that we have these "extra" little ones to bring us back to center.

LPC said...

The time is now.

mommytoalot said...

those babies , your grandbabies are very blessed indeed, as are you. That was such a beautiful post and totally puts things into perspective.
I hope the little ones are feeling better, and I hope you stay healthy
xo
God bless Lori, you are truly an inspiration
Lisa

Brian Miller said...

a wonderful post...and links to some wonderful ones as well...i love the smell of my little ones and those tender moments...christmas is a alittle sparse here as well...but filled with love. smiles.

Jacquelyn Stager said...

Happiness is a full box of kleenex nearby whenever I visit your blog, Lori! Seriously, your writing blesses me, and especially this one today. I don't know your story of why you are raising some of your grands, but I think it is more common than we are aware of. When I found out I was going to be a grandma 4 1/2 years ago, it didn't happen the way I'd always dreamed. It was quite a shock, and the kids needed a lot of help the first couple years. My life was also "interrupted" and still is to a degree. Now 4 1/2 years and 4 grandkids later, I am so blessed I can't contain myself. We don't have a lot of extra money this year for gifts either, and I've cut way way back...but the love, like you say, is what really matters and we have plenty of that to go around. Part of my family is in SC and while its hard to get together often, I'm so proud of them and we have love. I have picked up several inexpensive "china" teasets and my grands love that I "trust" them with them, even though pieces get broken here and there. I never get upset about it...how else will they learn if not "hands on"? When I get a minute I will go check out the blogs you suggested. God bless you...you are such an inspiration!

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is beautiful Lori. I read both of the links...they are both very touching and will stay with me for a long time.
I feel the same as you...my love bucket is running over again. I feel so fortunate in life...not for 'things', but for people.
Take care, Suz

ps. I hope the puking stops really soon!!!

Bogey said...

It is always refreshing to come across somebody who has put the Christmas Season in perspecive. Raising little ones simply and wisely, helps them to understand what true and unconditional love really is all about. There is no expectation of wanting more than they already have. Being happy and content in an environment of love and understanding is more of a Christmas gift than anything store bought. Yes, it can be so easy to spoil a child but what kind of life lessons will they learn. You are a Blessing Lori and what you teach the little ones will go a long, long way.

Jo ~ said...

it truly is a celebration of love and goodwill, just as they sing in my favorite carol, "It Came Upon The Midnight Clear."

Kit Kat said...

Oh Lori, You make me so happy! Give those little one's a big hug from auntie Kaitlyn :)

SciFi Dad said...

This was a beautiful and inspirational post.

Natalie said...

The voice I hear in my head and my heart, always says to me : Natalie, it is always about the children.

It is a service to God, to look after new little human beings, but the joy of those 'it's the best!' moments, are for the mummies and daddies to enjoy.
Lori, no Christmas party will ever fill your soul like your littles will.Sometimes it is hard, to be a carer to so many, over so many years, but You have been chosen, and i don't remember seeing too many of God's Angels hanging out at work parties. :D
xx♥

Unknown said...

I love her blog. And I ADORE your blog. You always bring me right back into reality. I love that! And I love that you didn't care about the plate from the tea set. You are a great Mom!

Buckeroomama said...

Beautiful thoughts, beautiful post, as always. :)

Riahli said...

Those are awesome links. I just love reading your thoughts. Great post as always.

Jan said...

Sometimes, I must confess, I wonder how you do it. I do not want to raise my grandchildren, and my kids are all well aware of that fact. But, I think, you pinpointed exactly how you're doing it, and how so many who are faced with raising their grandchildren do it.

Plain and simple love and patience. The kind of patience you often don't have when you're raising your children. The tea set should be played with now, because you're right - if you wait for them to be old enough not to break it, they won't want to play with it any longer.

Your life is full of love because you give it in such copious, unending quantities.

Lori ann said...

What beautiful words Lori, you are so right. This is the true meaning of christmas, and i am counting my blessings like you.
i hope you are all feeling better there, take good care,
love,
lori

midlife slices said...

You always show the true spirit of a loving, giving, and wonderful woman. I'm blessed to have you in my life. Merry Christmas!!

Mike said...

Holding the kids and watching Rudolph is the best Christmas present that you could ask for.

It amazes me how many people are depressed this year because they cannot afford ton's of gifts.

You have a great perspective!

Nancy said...

Beautiful and meanful post. I feel exactly the same way - such abundance when our needs are met. I'll have to come back to read the posts you suggested but I will do that.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://puqezofeb.dreamstation.com/wyjupon.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

CiCi said...

Just checking to see how you are all feeling now, hope everyone is healthy and enjoying the holidays.

Hilary said...

So very sweet. It's a bitter cold winter's day here but those smiling faces have warmed me to the core. Thanks for that. :)