In our family...

In our family....we do second chances...we do grace...we do real...we do mistakes...we do I'm sorry (and I forgive you)...we do loud really well...we do hugs...we do family...we do love.















Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Seeking to embrace in 2011

At the start of 2010 I picked the word Confidence as my word for the year. While I could stand to gain more confidence, I do believe that I am much more confident a year later. Starting this new year I am much more confident in myself and who I am and my hope is to continue down this road. I honestly believe that it’s out of this confidence I’ve gained, that I chose my word for this new year.

 I  pondered over and over what my word should be for 2011. ????????

Words I considered were  risk, expand, balance, unleash, dare, grow, breathe, mindful, listen, bloom and seek. I was leaning towards seek because really it’s these other things I seek more of. As I pondered and wrote about each one of these words, the word embrace kept coming up along with seek.

I looked up the meaning of embrace. The dictionary say’s it means…

em·brace

1.to take or clasp in the arms; press to the bosom; hug.

2.to take or receive gladly or eagerly; accept willingly: to embrace an idea.

3.to avail oneself of: to embrace an opportunity.

4.to adopt (a profession, a religion, etc.): to embrace Buddhism.

5.to take in with the eye or the mind.

6.to encircle; surround; enclose.

7.to include or contain: An encyclopedia embraces a great number of subjects.

–verb (used without object)

8.to join in an embrace.

 

I looked up seek and the dictionary says…

seek

1.to go in search or quest of: to seek the truth.

2.to try to find or discover by searching or questioning: to seek the solution to a problem.

3.to try to obtain: to seek fame.

4.to try or attempt (usually fol. by an infinitive): to seek to convince a person.

5.to go to: to seek a place to rest.

6.to ask for; request: to seek advice.

7.Archaic . to search or explore.

 

This year I choose to “seek to embrace”. I seek to embrace me. And my life.

I seek to embrace  risk and to expand my horizons. I seek balance and growth spiritually, emotionally and mentally. I seek to be mindful of the truth and of living in the moment. I seek to listen more to my heart and to listen more to others. I seek to embrace the freedom to unleash who I really am and to be daring enough to actually do those things that are really hard. I seek to bloom wherever I am planted.

I seek to embrace my talents and gifts and to be willing to take risks with them. But first I must seek to find out what those talents and gifts are. I seek to embrace my dreams, goals and hopes and do something about them. I don’t want to cower in fear of failure any longer or hide behind what is safe. I seek to stop making excuses. I seek to start seeing the opportunities and to embrace them. 

 

I seek to embrace where I have come from and the lessons I learned along the way. I seek to break the power of the secrets and to stop letting those things dictate my path. I seek to expose those things I’ve allowed to have power over me and to embrace the lessons I’ve learned from them. I seek the knowledge that will help give me this freedom and embrace the growth that it will give me. 

I seek to listen to what my heart is saying, instead of ignoring that still soft voice within. I seek to embrace the daring part of me and it’s willingness to take risks. I seek to embrace the fact that I don’t fit inside of a box and that I dance to my own song. I seek to embrace myself so much that I believe in myself enough to take the risks necessary to live more my authentic self.

I seek to stop feeling so lonely and to take the risks necessary to find friends that are parenting young children or raising their grandchildren. I seek to step out of my comfort zone and seek a pain support group or other avenue’s of support so that I can embrace what others have to offer me. 

 

I seek to embrace the belief that I am enough. I seek to stop beating myself up and start embracing myself when I make mistakes or fall down. I seek to embrace the love and joy that are mine to the point that I believe that I deserve it. I seek to embrace myself as being worthy enough to be here and to believe deep down in my soul that I am not a mistake.

I seek to stop and just breathe…to just embrace the moment I am in, instead of thinking about what I should be doing or where I should be. I seek to be mindful of the truth and to not latch myself onto worries of “what if?” I seek to stop second guessing myself and to start listening.

I seek to embrace balance in my life. Since it is part of my nature to be a caregiver, I seek to embrace having balance with care giving and to open myself up to others caring for me. I seek balance so that I can enjoy more of the things that bring me enjoyment.

I seek to embrace better health through healthy living, choices and nurturing myself. I seek to pay attention to my body, mind and spirit more and to take the measures necessary to take care of myself. I seek to take time for myself to exercise so that I can embrace once again the benefits I once felt when this was a regular part of my day. I seek to make time for me and to believe that it’s not selfish to do so.

I seek to stop standing on the side lines and instead take the risk by stepping out and daring to do these things that scare the shit out of me.

I seek to unleash all the garbage inside of me once and for all. I seek to unleash all the hidden or known good from inside of me out into the light.

I know I have come a long ways in my life. If I am truly honest with you and myself then I would have to say my biggest obstacle in my life continues to be me. I still battle with shame and feeling unworthy. Shame runs deep and wide inside of my soul and I seek to be free of that. I often times forget that I am as worthy as everyone else and this affects ALL area’s of my life. Not to mention how this drives my husband and children crazy. 

Today, I  declare to you and the universe my desire to seek and to embrace myself and my life in 2011. I seek to stop standing in the way of myself, to embrace who I am, to unleash me and to bloom in 2011!  

CIMG0045-1

30 comments:

Jeannie said...

Shame is so devastating. I've fought it a long time as well. If you find a way to defeat it, be sure to let us know. I would love to find a passion. Perhaps I should throw myself into this with purpose. You are such an inspiration. I hope you find someone in the real world you can connect with.

Anonymous said...

"If I am truly honest with you and myself then I would have to say my biggest obstacle in my life continues to be me."

I think that's true for a lot of us, Lori. Most of us, in fact - I know it's certainly true for me. And how does one overcome it? It will be interesting to see what you have to say on the subject in the coming months.

Jan

Brittany said...

You are increidlbe mom! I love-love-love your choice! You are always so insightful! Great picks for the new year!!!

I Am Woody said...

You are my inspiration!

SciFi Dad said...

I think many of us could benefit from trying to get out of our own way more often. Great plan for the new year.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love your outlook for 2011. I KNOW that you will conquer this next goal and while conquering it, you will teach us as well.
xoxoxoxo
Suz

Brian Miller said...

seek & embrace are great words for the new year...and that starts with yourself for sure...looking forward to watching these words in your life this year

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

None of us is worthy, Lori. That's what makes God's love so special. One of the most profound statements in the Bible is: "When we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Your motto for 2011 is a worthy one. And I love the photo you chose to illustrate it.

Anonymous said...

I know that YOU ARE WORTHY because God doesn't make junk!!

And I know that when I feel unworthy, it is because I am hearing the devil's voice. Jesus would never say anything to tear me down like that. And when I couldn't fight it on my own, I got help for the depression that causes me to listen to those voices that tear me down.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I love your works...embrace and seek!

If I had to choose a word for the year I would have to pick love...ya just gotta have it an pass it around.

God bless ya and have a marvelous New Year sweetie!!!

Natalie said...

Hooray! Great choices, Lori. I will be part of your cheer squad.x

Sueann said...

To seek and embrace life in it's totality is a fearsome and awesome place to go! What a ride you are going to have this year. What blessings are in store for you. Wonderful!
I applaud your courage!!
Way to go dearest friend!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Corinne Rodrigues said...

What a beautiful post, Lori. I love the word 'embrace' - it's so rich with meaning. Wishing you all that's wonderful in this year that you're embracing!
Love and hugs
C

Liz Mays said...

What a perfectly wonderful word to choose for this year, and based on your last year, I think it's just the year to do that!

ain't for city gals said...

Embrace is a perfect word for you...isn't it so weird how we hold ourselves prisoners in our mind....from someone that knows you only from reading your blog I just can't imagine shame being in your life....set yourself free...starting today!

Friko said...

That is indeed a very tall order!

That is not one object, one goal, but the sum total of all goals in life, that is what each and every one of us is striving for (or should be) while we are on this earth.

Basically, it means

to accept yourself, be kind to yourself and others, live consciously and grow, grow, grow.

A very tall order.

Good luck.

beth said...

i love a three word resolution of sorts....next year i might be done with ONE word and have to go this route instead :)

mommytoalot said...

Seek to embrace...perfect.
your way with words is amazing.
I feel inspired each and every time I read a post by you. You are always so open and honest.
I hope everything you seek to embrace is all that you desire
Lisa

Katherine Schultz said...

You are such an inspiration to everyone. I am wishing you the most incredible 2011 :) Thankyou for your beautiful support towards me and my blog in the past, i can't wait to continue reading yours and getting to know you. Thanks again Lori, you are a gem.

K xxxx

Laura said...

Oh sweetheart...can I just say I love you! I have a post coming up about tolerating and embracing...inspired by my friend Cathy. Remember that blog friends are real friends too...even though we live far apart, we can offer support and kindness...listen, be present, learn and teach one another. So here is an embrace from me...imagine my heart against yours in a hug, our hands on each others backs and placed on the back the back doors of one another's hearts (there is something so friendly about a back door entry, I think...not so formal...the way into the kitchen, the hearth/heart of a home).

gentle steps dear one...I am so grateful for all the love you pour into your messages to me...YOU are precious and I know that you will find all that you seek with grace.

Buckeroomama said...

Oh, I love the sound of those two words. You deserve so much, Lori, for all the goodness in your heart.

Anonymous said...

Most of us are our own obstacles - so hard for us to accept the fact that we are enough!

Your words are very empowering - I'm sure they will help you gain what you seek.

Colleen said...

How perfect Lori and how "you" somehow!
I look forward to coming here and journeying with you and learning from you as you begin to seek and embrace life.

God bless beautiful friend!

Garnetrose said...

Wonderful post, Laurie. Words fail to say how much this post moved me. Incredible picks for the new year. God Bless you!!!!

Unknown said...

Lori???
Can I embrace with you?

and embrace you.

Unknown said...

You have hit the nail right on the head...as always. LOVe this post and LOVE your goal for 2011. You inspire me in so many ways. I think the children are beautiful. So glad you get to be such an integral part of their lives.

Unknown said...

You have hit the nail right on the head...as always. LOVe this post and LOVE your goal for 2011. You inspire me in so many ways. I think the children are beautiful. So glad you get to be such an integral part of their lives.

wolfie185 said...

I love every word of this post!! It may be challenging at times but every inch of the journey is worth the while. For me I know there is no end to this journey, it is day by day moment by moment, set backs occur but still I keep walking.
May your feet stay steady on your path!!

Hugs
Scott

Joanna Jenkins said...

Hi Lori-- You inspire me and so does this post. I wish all that for you an more in the coming year. And if you ever need a little boost, know that I am on my feet CHEERING your wonderfulness on!!!

Happy 2011, xo jj

Anita C. McCants said...

In 2011 I will polish and use my talents to improve my life, and the lives of others.

Thank you for sharing this thought provoking post :^)